Monday 12 August 2013

Caramelised fennel salad (and beef ragu lasagne)

It is too cold for cold salads at the moment so I am exploring the warm ones.

I found a recipe for a potato and beef ragu lasagne and wanted a salad that would go well with so I went searching for inspiration.

I love fennel so I got some but the tender little baby fennels weren't available so I bought a giant big one and decided to caramelise it a little to make it a bit more tender (and warm:) and went from there.


You will need:
A large fennel bulb, thinly sliced and reserve some of the leaves on the top
A drizzle of maple syrup
Half a long red chilli, chopped
Juice of half an orange
A couple of handfuls of rocket
Half a handful of flat-leaf parsley, torn



Drizzle some olive oil in a large frypan on low to medium heat (caramelising, not frying) and pop in your fennel

Cook over a low temperature to caramelise the fennel, adding a drizzle of maple syrup (about a teaspoon) to help it along


When it's tender add your chopped chilli and continue cooking for a minute. Then squeeze over your orange juice

Pop your rocket on your serving plate, pile the fennel on top then sprinkle over the parsley and the fennel leaves.

Serve with your lovely toasty ragu






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, whether you agree or disagree with me I would love to hear what you think.